Monday, January 27, 2014

Looking at things from all angles... and a NEW VIDEO!


The other day I was handed this small branch with a cluster of pods at its head. Passed on by a friend of my mother's to me there was no name offered and I was simply told it had yellow flowers and grew at her house. 




Tonight I thought I might draw it but when picking it up, the seeds kept on falling out. That distracted me somewhat so I took out my i-phone to see if I could take some shots that might prove helpful to draw from. As the results from the iPhone are so variable I was unsure if I'd get what I wanted.


 


Too yellow... too unclear... too rough... too everything really!




I persisted in order to see the seeds from various angles and appreciate both the form of the pods and the seeds.




This one was quite natural in appearance

Trying to get closer was hard.



Some of the shapes really appealed as I looked closer.




Tonal qualities accentuated




Closer




I liked the seeds in this one




Photos taken under a light




I'll come back and draw these this week.


A poor image looked slightly better in black and white.




This colour was quite true to life really.




Textural pods on the lower half of this one




were in high contrast to this one above





seeds




interesting to see the details in form... at first glance they seem all the same




I'd like to see these under a microscope




back to the pods




pods via Instagram



Close up of seed capsule and pods after photo-shop.



Last week a video of my artwork with audio of recorded thoughts about the Homage to the Seed project was released and I've written about it at my STUDIO blog and added links to related sites. This was the result of a collaboration with a leading Seed Not-for-profit organisation in Germany.


TO WATCH THE VIDEO CLICK ON THE HYPER-
LINKED TEXT UNDER THE LOGO/IMAGE


CLICK HERE:    VIDEO _ HOMAGE TO THE SEED


Click and watch this 3 minute video of Cary Fowler discussing one of the Global Crop Diversity Trust's key partnership projects in Norway ... the well-known Seed Vault at Svarlbard in the Arctic Circle.

                                      

Cary Fowler talks about the Svarlbard Seed Vault in Norway

Wishing all a very good week!
Sophie

2 comments:

Louisette said...

Interesting article, fotos and macro,greeting from Belgium

Sophie Munns said...

Thanks for your kind words Louisette! Best wishes to you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...